Sunday, February 6, 2011

Winter!

What up Friends?
So it is def. Winter in Guelph.
Big time Winter, snow deeper than corgis and over the cranks, the kind of Winter where you're pushing strangers up the hill.
Well at least that's how I see it. Without a car it seems like their unsuitability stands out more to me and to the mohawked fella on the corner. If you are out there driving please think about a route that avoids hills and give yourself extra stopping distance.
Same goes for biking too; take it slow and be safe. When I'm riding through snow on a normal bike (not my fixi) I use a light touch on the brake to clear the build up before I actually try to stop.
So what's been happening lately?
It's not the most busy time around the Bike Centre with most people opting to bus it for the season but workshops and Women and Trans Night are continuing weekly and a number of rebuild projects have been going on.
Some folks have been refitting their retro rides with new alloy wheels and other parts for braking goodness and weight savings. One of the projects I am on started with a bike over 27 lbs but after trimming the fat it is at least ten pounds lighter; it's not fully rebuilt yet so I haven't weighed it.

There's a tag-team effort starting up to put together a group buy for safety equipment with GotBike, helmets, lights, and "other" will be on the cheap for Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment